Thursday, 2 December 2010
Kairos Advent Devotional 2010 3rd Dec
3 December 2010
Isaiah 11: 1-9
Isaiah describes here the Messiah and His character and foretells the messianic Kingdom.
1. The Messiah will be born of the house of Jesse (David’s father). A branch – the root of the name ‘Nazareth’.
2. Portrays the supernatural qualities of the Messiah
1. The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him
2. The Spirit of wisdom and understanding
3. The Spirit of Counsel and might
4. The Spirit of Knowledge
5. The reverential and obedient fear of the Lord
6. He shall judge by the sight of His eyes, neither decide by the hearing of His ears. (What the eyes see often misleads and what the ears hear is not all the truth. In the Messianic kingdom, government is based on absolute knowledge).
7. He shall have no need of the guidance that men normally need.
8. There follows in wonderful words the results of His reign. Paradise comes to the whole world and the world rejoices in an entire cosmic redemption.
9. Over all the works of God’s hand peace shall rest and the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea and decisions are the result of perfect understanding.
In the words of a well-known hymn, Hallelujah, what a Saviour! Yesterday we learnt some of the attributes of Jesus and today we learn more of the character of Jesus Christ (the Messiah). For God so greatly loved the world that He gave up His only begotten Son so that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal (everlasting) life.
Today we have access to even more revelation of the person of Jesus than Isaiah as we read the New Testament and grow in our knowledge of Him.
Paul prayed for the Ephesians (Ephesians 1; 7 (Amplified Bible)), “For I always pray to the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory that He may grant you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the deep and intimate knowledge of Him (Jesus Christ – the Messiah). Let us all loudly say “Amen” to that prayer.
Thank you Father for giving up Jesus for the world. Help me to grow in the knowledge of Jesus as beholding Him we are changed from one degree of glory to another.