Tuesday 14 December 2010

Kairos Advent Devotional 2010 14th Dec

14 December 2010

Luke 1: 26 – 38


Mary’s story. A familiar one told many times over the Christmas period; at carol services; nativity plays; in songs and in poems,- but what do we really know about Mary besides the fact that she was the mother of Jesus. Let’s go back to the story as told by Luke in the New Testament reading.

Mary - a young girl; betrothed to Joseph, a descendant of David and probably some years older than her. One day, God sent the angel Gabriel to Mary with some startling news; she was highly favoured by the Lord and she was going to have a baby- His Son! Can you imagine the jumble of emotions that swept through her mind on hearing this? ‘I’m betrothed to Joseph. What will he say? Will he believe me? It’s a year before we are to be married. What will the villagers say when they see I’m pregnant? I can’t cope with this. It’s all too much. What can I do?  Help!’

Very quickly the angel comforts her and tells her not to be afraid. God is with her and she must call the Baby Jesus He is very special and will be a King whose Kingdom will never end (v 31 – 33).  It doesn’t really make sense to Mary and she says, ’How can it be since I am a virgin?’ She is puzzled; mystified by the appearance of this angel. What is happening to her? Again the angel speaks to reassure her. God is at work - ‘the Holy Spirit will come upon you and your child will be called the Son of God’ (v.35). Then he tells her that even her elderly relative, Elizabeth, is six months pregnant. That ‘nothing is impossible with God’ (v.37).

Mary responds in faith,’ I am the Lord’s servant. May it be to me as you have said’ (v.38). No longer did she doubt, but gave herself into the Lord’s hands, ready to be used by Him.

Have you any doubts and fears about what the Lord is calling you to do for Him? How far can you trust him? Are you willing to say, as Mary did, ‘Yes. Lord, I’m ready for whatever You want me to do or be for You’? Be assured that He will be with you every step of the way, wherever the road leads.

Prayer
In my moments of doubt or fear, assure me, Lord, of Your constant presence and grant me that peace that comes from knowing I am in the place where I can serve You best.
Amen.

No comments: